Sunday, September 4, 2016

Introductory Post


Hello! I'm Karen, and welcome to my blog for my writing class about The Power of the Disney Princess!

I signed up for this class because I am interested in the way Disney has been shaped by and has influenced society’s image of girls – and the simple fact that I just love Disney. Aside from their catchy tunes, Disney’s lessons of female empowerment caught my eye, like Anna and Elsa’s story in Frozen about how they don’t need no man to save themselves. Girls can save the world too! However, I am also aware that Disney was not always like that. Decades ago, Disney princesses were the exact opposites, passive and pretty, and the shift from that view intrigues me.

I was not one of those girls who played dress up with princess gowns when they were little. My parents came from China, where the magical sunlight (or poisonous touch, if you prefer) of Disney did not shine, so I was not exposed to the world of princesses and fairies until I started public elementary school. By that time, I was “too old” to play dress up, so I slowly picked up bits and pieces of Ariel’s, Pocahontas’s, and Cinderella’s stories from my friends on the playground. Each of my Caucasian friends had a favorite princess. I needed a princess to connect with, so I chose Snow White, not because I liked her story, but because she had black hair like mine, unlike any of the other princesses. As I grew older, I witnessed the change of the Disney princess from the passive damsel in distress to the independent woman who goes on adventures of her own – from Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, to Belle in Beauty and the Beast, to Rapunzel in Tangled – and I experienced the inclusion of many more races, like Mulan and Tiana. Finally, I had a princess of my race and culture! This transformation made me wonder how we as a society have changed and will continue to change.

I am interested in exploring the way Disney reflects and influences society. Does society affect Disney’s portrayal of women, or does Disney contribute to societal norms? I wonder, through its growth as a media empire, how much influence does Disney really have on young girls, and is its campaign to create more independent princesses to foster more progressive ideals in young girls working? Where do Disney and feminism intersect? Will Disney continue to represent different cultures in their films? How far are they willing to go? I am excited to see where Disney puts its influence. Disney’s empire will fall one day, but I hope to see them make a positive change in society’s views on women and different cultures.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment